Xylitol Dangers!

Xylitol

A common artificial sweetener is deadly to dogs!

Xylitol is an artificial sweetener that is found in many foods, gum and even deodorants that is absolutely deadly to dogs.  Even small amounts can cause a dog to go into distress – and it happens fast.  A dog who ingests several pieces of gum that contains xylitol can die within hours!

Xylitol causes a rapid and massive insulin release in dogs, which will manifest itself outwardly to a pet owner as acute weakness, staggering, and vomiting. Within 15 to 20 minutes, they might even be comatose depending on the amount consumed, a dog can also experience liver failure from ingesting xylitol.

Here are some common items that contain xylitol:

  • Chewing Gum, mints, candy
  • Peanut Butter
  • Baked goods – cookies, muffins, cupcakes – especially ready made from the store
  • Low sugar foods, sugar free foods
  • Toothpaste & Mouthwash
  • Medications, vitamin gummies
  • Deodorants, lotions, gel – xylitol helps these products retain moisture – extending shelf life

If your dog ingests something that contains xylitol – call your veterinarian immediately for assistance.